Though bus accidents occur far less frequently than other types of vehicle accidents, they tend to have more severe consequences. Occupants of the bus are the least likely to be seriously injured, but other drivers, passengers of other vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists all have an increased risk of serious injury or even death when involved in a bus-related accident.
The consequences of a bus accident can be incredibly drastic. This is why it is extremely important for bus drivers to be trained completely and properly before operating a bus. Regular maintenance and inspections are necessary to provide the safest transportation for passengers.
Determining fault in a bus-related accident can be difficult, so you should always contact the police after involvement in one of these accidents. It is also highly encouraged to seek the counsel of an experienced personal injury attorney. Parties that may be at fault include:
- Bus driver
- Bus management company- if the bus has not been maintained properly or the driver has not been thoroughly trained
- Bus equipment manufacturers- when the accident is caused by equipment malfunctions
- Negligent drivers- especially distracted drivers or those driving under the influence
- Government entities- if it is a public, government-owned bus, government entities may be held liable for an accident
Unfortunately, there are many ways that bus accidents can occur. The most common causes of bus accidents include:
- Reckless driving
- Bad weather or poor visibility
- Defective equipment
- Improper maintenance
- Dangerous roadways
Bus accidents can have significant consequences. They do massive amounts of damage and can cause serious injury. Therefore, they must be prevented as much as possible. Not all accidents are avoidable. If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus-related accident, contact us at LeBaron & Jensen today. We provide quality, superior legal representation.